Sunday, January 15, 2006

Stitching the weekend away

Goodmorning all,

First of all: a very warm thankyou to Barbara for creating this blog. I'm terribly excited about all of this. I have wanted to blog for the longest time, but I have one problem: my camera and my computer refuse any form of relationship. I have tried to talk to them, coax them, romantic, candlelit dinners, but I think the age difference is too much of a hindrance. There's just no attraction there. And a blog about cross stitching without recent pictures is not something to get excited about, is it?

Anyway, yes, when I first saw the original Neighbourhood Round Robin, I was astounded, it was so gorgeous. Although when I say 'original' Neighbourhood RR, let me point out that this RR was also started after the participants got inspired by the Mother of the Neighbourhood RR, the French Dijon RR. Sadly, it is very difficult to find pictures of this original-original on the internet, but there is one on the homepage of the Neighbourhood RR (link provided---->). I got into contact with Su through Cyberstitchers, and we got to talking about this RR. We were both amazed at the beauty of the thing, and wondered if we couldn't find any likeminded stitchers to participate in our very own RR. So we did, and here we are.

Like the others, I started stitching my own square last week. I finally found my fabric (and I do hope nobody minds that it is a gorgeous 35 count Edinburgh sand colour) in a great needlework shop in Roermond. It was our plan to find nine stitchers to do this RR with, but in the end, there are 'only' seven of us, which means we have to fiddle with the shape a bit. Or stitch three houses on one piece! That was a bit too much for me, so I have decided to stitch rather a large design (Blackbird Design's Enduring Friendship), which will cover 100 x 140 stitches. The rest of the blank squares will be used for the names of me and my fellow Round-Robiners. The name of my RR, by the way, is 'Wacky Wanderings'. I shall be asking each of us to stitch a bit of a wacky detail. Nothing much, nothing big, it would even be fun if I had to look for it with a magnifying glass, but something wacky. I, myself, will stitch a little elf. I will tell you why in a later post.

As I said, no picture of my work until my square is actually finished, and the picture taken and developed at the photoshop in the city (how dreadfully old-fashioned). I do hope everyone enjoys following the paths through our neighbourhoods, both visitors and Round Robiners.

4 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, January 15, 2006, Blogger mainely stitching said...

Thanks so much for more detail on the history of this great idea - I can't wait to see your stitched piece. Yours comes to me next, and if you like, I can take a picture of it before I start stitching and post that (to save the bother of going in and having a picture developed, transfered to disc, etc.).

 
At 11:16 AM, January 15, 2006, Blogger Leeny said...

Hi!

My name is Eileen and I was invited here to visit by Annemarie :) I'm looking forward to tracking the progress of this RR, as like the ladies who are involved with this RR, I am a fan of the Neighbourhood RR, which Annemarie shared with me. Good luck with the stitching, and expect me to be dropping by once in a while!

eileen :)

 
At 1:18 PM, January 15, 2006, Blogger Annemarie said...

Oooh! That would be nice, Barbara. And, yes, it's true that I will be sending the RRs on to you. Perhaps we could actually visit each other once in a while to hand them over in person. Perhaps meet in Roermond and visit that LNS I was talking about?
Welcome, Eileen! Great to see you here!

 
At 5:40 PM, January 15, 2006, Blogger Susimac said...

I want to meet up too!!! Wouldn't that be brilliant, This is so exciting starting. I am taking Veronicas photos for her as she has no digital camera or computer, but my little sis might be kind and take them of the progress of hers, before I get it.

Su

 

Post a Comment

<< Home