Friday, June 30, 2006

ta-da!



Here is my block on Carol's neighborhood. I stitched it beside Annemarie's, so now the top row has been filled. I was so nervous about stitching this - terribly afraid I'd wreck it with my usual primitive style. Perspective? What the heck is that? I did a lot of frogging on this one, but I'm happy with how it came out and I hope Carol will be, too. I will try to get a picture that includes all three houses, but right now I was in a hurry to catch the last of the daylight outside.

So, where to begin with this? I started with the cottage, which is from Elizabeth's Designs, as is the smaller tree beside it. But I changed it so much that I don't know if even the designer would recognize it! The house is stitched in light silks that don't photograph well, but they do look very nice IRL. The tree is done in Danish flower threads. Then I decided that I wanted a bee hive and an orchard. The two kittens by the beehive are Hank and Jake, brother kitties that I had long ago & far away, in another life. Hank was white with some gray, and about as dumb as a living creature could be - but oh so sweet! Jake, his brother, was "black with black stripes" as Someone requested, and scared to death of his own shadow. Jake never learned to meow, but would instead bark at the birds outside our Boston brownstown window. There's a miniature herb garden with chamomile, marjoram, and lavender that I made up. The bike - very Dutch! - is from a French designer, as are those fabulous apple trees (which were not originally apple trees, but I changed them). The sheep and the romantic gate are from Shepherd's Bush.

Thanks, Carol, for trusting me (though I didn't exactly trust myself)!

9 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, June 30, 2006, Blogger Annemarie said...

No need to question your sense of perspective any more, Barbara. I had the same problem. My pears are larger than the windows, have you noticed?
Anyway, I love everything about your square. Great work!

 
At 11:23 PM, June 30, 2006, Blogger Carol said...

Oh Barb! It is fantastic! Thank you!!! You stitched that in absolute record time!!!!

 
At 11:27 PM, June 30, 2006, Blogger Carol said...

Annemarie - I must say, I simply adore those pears in your block!!

 
At 11:59 PM, June 30, 2006, Blogger mainely stitching said...

Hi Carol! So glad you like it! Other than one afternoon on my charity piece, I haven't worked on anything but your NRR since I started it. :)

 
At 3:25 AM, July 01, 2006, Blogger Dianne said...

I think it's wonderful too. So much of you in it with the bike and kitties. Hope I can do as well.
I've been working on yours (Barb) a lot too. I want it to be extra special for you. : )

 
At 9:35 AM, July 01, 2006, Blogger Annemarie said...

I can't wait to see a picture of the whole top row. I know what all the squares look like, of course, but seeing them all together would really make my day, I think. Funny, isn't, that once you have stitched on one NRR, you feel like it's 'belongs' a bit to you, too, and not just to the owner.

 
At 11:22 AM, July 01, 2006, Blogger Susimac said...

I love it, it looks so great, I love that bike its so cute. Well done, I bet Carol will be absolutley delighted with it.

 
At 12:42 AM, July 02, 2006, Blogger lena-lou said...

Lovely...just lovely :-)

 
At 8:52 PM, July 03, 2006, Blogger Lelia said...

This is a fantastic block! Job well one :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home