Tuesday, June 13, 2006

this, that, and a little bit of the other



Now that I'm back to my normal Monday routine of working at the office and then going to fitness after the kids are in bed, I lose a few hours of stitching. But this morning as soon as I'd tidied up the house a bit, I snapped together my big Q-Snap and mounted Annemarie's neighborhood so I could get it done before the heat became really extreme (I hate the feeling of stitching with sweaty hands!) and here is the result. I'm pretty pleased with it, and I hope Annemarie will be, too.

Texture is as important to me as color, and I really had a great time "texturizing" this one. The gravel path is a blend of light gray silk and a coarse dark gray cotton to give it a pebbly look and feel. The meadow grass is done using the DMC linen (L3012) and I love the thick & thin sort of fuzzy effect it made. Stitching with linen thread isn't for the perfectionist, though - the final effect is very irregular - perfect for meadow grass, but I'm sure it would be a headache for some other applications. And still on the theme of texture, I was delighted to finally figure out the secret of French/Colonial knots because they made my lupins really pop out. (The rather odd-looking yellow flower on the far side is actually my name written sideways.)

Annemarie's asked that we write something to accompany our houses on her neighborhood, and since I'm at the keyboard now, I'll jot down a few thoughts. I hope no one minds a long-winded post!

I tried to incorporate designers that I knew Annemarie likes (as well as being some favorites of mine) so you'll see elements from Carriage House Samplings, The Workbasket, Prairie Moon, Shepherd's Bush, Brightneedle, and Elegant Designs (for that fabulous sunflower). I also tried to aim for design elements she'd like - barns and sheep - while adding one of my favorites - birds. I popped in a little lass from Brightneedle playing a game of roll-the-hoop because kids are such a source of joy & fun, which are important themes in Annemarie's wacky neighborhood. Finally, I added the bluebird of happiness to always bring Annemarie luck and happiness.

I'll post this off to Rachael tomorrow afternoon, with signature-required delivery. And once again, I'd like to tell Rachael how absolutely thrilled I am with the block she did on my NRR!!

9 Comments:

At 2:52 PM, June 13, 2006, Blogger Lelia said...

Beautiful block Barbara : )

 
At 7:12 PM, June 13, 2006, Blogger Susimac said...

Its wonderful Barbara, I just know Annemarie will adore it, I love your lupins (hint hint). I too have found linen thread doesn't lie well but its great as you say for texture.

 
At 10:19 PM, June 13, 2006, Blogger Dianne said...

I love the personal touches! The colors just pop and the texturing is great. I think I'll learn something from you gals. : )
I'm anxious to get Barbara's as I have a design picked out. I'll email you Barb to let you know if it's okay, but it's a leaflet from your own list.

 
At 10:20 PM, June 13, 2006, Blogger Dianne said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:23 PM, June 13, 2006, Blogger Dianne said...

I like the lupines too-I don't have any in my own garden, but if you feel like making more by the time my piece rolls your way, please do. ; )

I deleted the above because of a few typos.

 
At 10:38 PM, June 13, 2006, Blogger Carol said...

Oh Barb, this is awesome! I am sure Annemarie will be beside herself with glee! Woo Hoo! Pat yourself on the back!

 
At 11:24 PM, June 13, 2006, Blogger lena-lou said...

Oh wow Barbara a masterpiece :-) It goes so well with Annemaries own...perfect

 
At 12:31 PM, June 14, 2006, Blogger Annemarie said...

Hey! Where did my comment go? I wrote yesterday that I absolutely LOVE yout stitching for me Barbara. Thank you!

 
At 5:47 PM, June 14, 2006, Blogger Rachael said...

It's beautiul- can't wait to get my hands on it:-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home