Monday, January 16, 2006

my enthusiasm got the better of me

I decided on Friday that I would finish my design for our neighborhood RR, even though I had barely begun it. And I'm a slow stitcher. And we had company coming for the day on Sunday. And I needed to set this blog up. But hey, I thrive on challenge - that's why I'm still in the software industry after all these years. :-)



I didn't finish, but I did right my mistake (I miscounted the doorway and had to rip it out) and got the house itself filled in. Maybe, just maybe, I'll get the rest of the roof filled in after fitness tomorrow night - although I don't usually stitch on Monday. It would be nice to have the house itself at least finished. Here's where we stand now.



My neighborhood will be called Our Virtual Village, and I'm hoping that everyone will stitch a house or building or scene that sort of says "this is me!". I'm stitching "Come Fly Away" by Sheepish Designs, after thinking and re-thinking my choice. I also agonized over my choice of fabric, having specially ordered a hand-dyed piece that was just far too green IRL (lovely linen, but not for this project). Eventually I went with this 28 ct taupe Cashel linen. It's nothing spectacular, but the colors really stand out beautifully against it. And no one will suffer from eyestrain stitching on it. (After doing several over-one projects, eyestrain has become a bit of an issue for me!) So far, I have used Stranded by the Sea fibers for most of this house. I'm using colors I like out of my stash rather than what's called for. The house itself is supposed to look rather like weathered brick, which is what our real-life house is. Max, my eldest, helped me choose the color.

And now, well after midnight on a worknight, I am off to bed! Happy stitching to you all!

7 Comments:

At 2:34 AM, January 16, 2006, Blogger Von said...

Barbara! Another beautiful blog!! I'll put this one in my Newsgator acct too :)

 
At 6:50 AM, January 16, 2006, Blogger Dianne said...

You did a great job on your house, Barbara? Will you add trees or anything else?
I had to laugh tonight, as the home they did on Extreme Makeover:Home Edition, looked very much like the inn I doing for my Victorian seaside village for the RR!

 
At 6:51 AM, January 16, 2006, Blogger Dianne said...

That's not suppose to be a question mark-it's suppose to be an exclamation mark. It's getting late. Sorry B.

 
At 9:31 AM, January 16, 2006, Blogger mainely stitching said...

Hi Dianne - Yes, there will be trees and animals and such still to come.

Hi Von - I'm so glad you like our new niche!!

 
At 11:05 AM, January 16, 2006, Blogger Annemarie said...

Hey! This house looks wonderful! And your Max does have a good eye for colours. I can't wait to see the finished square...

 
At 5:02 PM, January 16, 2006, Blogger Susimac said...

Looking good Barbara, can't wait to see more of it. It starts getting a bit addictive doesn't it?

Su

 
At 11:35 PM, January 16, 2006, Blogger mainely stitching said...

Addictive, Su? No. Not at all. Really. I've been planning to give up sleep for awhile now ... all those wasted hours....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home