Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Veronica's Neighbourhood

I know I'm awfully late with posting this, and I know Barbara is probably already halfway with her block on this one, but I thought I'd tell you a bit about what I stitched for Veronica anyway. First of all: here's the picture of my block


The very perceptive amongst you will have noticed that this house is based (in the loosest possible way) on Elizabeth Design's Shepherd Cottage. I mirrored the design though, so Su's garden next to mine would flow into each other, and the size of my house would make more sense next to Su's. I didn't much care for the original colour scheme though, and noticed that the orid=ginal looked very much like the house Veronica had stitched herself. So I thought and pondered and wondered, until I walked past my own 'Geurige Kruidentuin' sampler at home, and noticed the fantastic colour scheme, and the similarity between the two houses. So I used that colour scheme for this cottage. The fence is part of the ED design too, but the quilt is by Jeremiah Junction (Veronica said she likes quilts). I got rid of the hills in the design and just stitched a row of trees. The birdhouse is from House nr. 3 of the CHS The houses of Hawk Run Hollow. The wee animals are from Abbey Lane's 'All Things' sampler. The squirrel is done in petit point, because I hate stitching over-one, and it would have been too big over-two. The flowers sprung from my imagination. Pathetic, I know, but I really did my best! Here's Veronica's RR so far:

Don't worry, the fabric hasn't actually gone all funny! I had the fabric hanging from the back of a chair, and it went all crooked.

Anyway, I hope you like it, Veronica. Good luck Barbara!

11 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, February 07, 2007, Blogger Dianne said...

I think it's a sweet and charming square! I'm the last to get it. Don't you think I know it will be the hardest block to stitch too. So many of you are designers in the rough. Great job An!

 
At 5:07 PM, February 07, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do I need to smack you over the head again today??
Please tell me about the "pathetic" bit 'cause I can't find it!! IT ISN'T THERE!!
I checked you blog where you posted this picture first: record number of comments and I do believe words like "stunning", "magnifique" and "wowzie" were used. Did the IKEA men suck your brain??? I'll quit ranting now, because I actually do like you...

 
At 5:12 PM, February 07, 2007, Blogger Carol said...

You did such a fantastic job An!

 
At 5:47 PM, February 07, 2007, Blogger mainely stitching said...

I agree with Harmien, and I do so love her way of phrasing it. ;)

Okay, anyone reading this, you must trust me when I say that this NRR is ever so much more gorgeous IRL than even this excellent photo can convey. There are some remarkably talented stitchers in this group, including the irresistably insecure Annemarie. Who is hopefully not allowing IKEA men close enough to suck out her brains. Yuck.

And no, I'm not halfway round the block other than in my imagination. :(

 
At 7:14 PM, February 07, 2007, Blogger lena-lou said...

Fasntastic Annemarie, I really do love it and I am looking forward to seeing it altogether for real. I have no idea why you doubt yourself, you do beautiful stitching. I LOVE everything about it.

Best wishes
Veronica

 
At 9:13 PM, February 07, 2007, Blogger Susimac said...

Its wonderful - stop fretting your stitching is brilliant and your imagination for your block is sooo cooooool!

 
At 8:07 PM, February 08, 2007, Blogger lena-lou said...

I think your block is very artistic, clever and beautifully stitched. You've done great :)))

 
At 7:25 AM, February 09, 2007, Blogger Rachael said...

It's wonderful Annemarie. Stop worrying. Everything you've done has been lovely. Both your choice of deigns and your stitching. The quilt is precious and the colors on the house luscious- it's almost a rhyme!

 
At 1:13 PM, February 10, 2007, Blogger piko said...

Thank you fro visiting my blog! You've stitched lovely design. I love them.:-)

 
At 1:47 PM, February 11, 2007, Blogger Dawn B. said...

like the block you did & thanks for leaving me a comment. Hope you visit again.

 
At 10:35 AM, February 12, 2007, Blogger Leeland said...

I am very admirative on your creativity and sense for"mixing" things for such a fine result! Well done, Annemarie!
Take care!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home