Monday, June 25, 2007

Rachael's Seaside and Lighthouse Neighbourhood

You hadn't given up on me, I hope? I'm still here, I'm still stitching, and what's more, I've enjoyed every single stitch I put into this RR; I think it looks nice (that's a first), and I've learned a couple of new tricks as well. First, let me show you a picture of the block I stitched for Rachael:

It's 'Seaside Cottage' by Elizabeth's Designs, with a little addition (the lady with the umbrella) by L'Atelier du Pic Vert. The lady was stitched over-one. In order to prevent the fabric from going all funny - what with all the specialty stitches going on - I got myself a Q-snap frame. Now, normally, I hate all sorts of aides when it comes to stitching, but I must say Q-snaps are an invention to be applauded. Not only did the fabric not go funny, I was able to stitch with both hands while the frame was resting on my lap and the table, to make the stitching go super fast as well. I thought it would be a struggle to stitch with both my left and my right hand, but it immediately felt the most natural thing in the world. So thank you, Rachael, not only for the pleasure of stitching something to go in your lovely neighbourhood, but also for, unwittingly, introducing me to super fast, cramp-free stitching!

Here's the full picture of Rachael's neighbourhood so far. I will send this to Barbara tomorrow.

And now for the final Neighbourhood. And what a neighbourhood. I think Barbara's must be my favourite so far. There's one lilttle hitch, though. You kind ladies only left me the lower middle block to work on, and it seems impossible to find a suitable design to fit in between your colourful, patchwork hills and meadows... Wish me luck!

9 Comments:

At 3:31 PM, June 25, 2007, Blogger Carol said...

Oh An! YOu did an absolutely amazing job on this RR! Wow!!!!!! Thanks for your email, I plan to reply after work this afternoon :-) I will also do a little chart search to try to help you again with Barbara's RR.... something CHS or Goode Huswife maybe? Hmm... maybe Stitching House like I did on my other RR??

 
At 4:50 PM, June 25, 2007, Blogger Rachael said...

Thanks you so much An, I love it - The windblown trees and the lady with the umbrella- and the weather vane. Perfect. I can't wait to se this in person!

 
At 4:55 PM, June 25, 2007, Blogger Susimac said...

Its really lovely and its looking really really nice.

 
At 9:59 PM, June 25, 2007, Blogger lena-lou said...

Annemarie it is a fantastic block you have done for Rachael, I love the design and your addition looks perfect with it :-)))

 
At 10:39 PM, June 25, 2007, Blogger Dianne said...

Great job An! I'm thinking Rachael needs to add some kind of lighthouse for every square (including her own) when it comes home to finish off the cute theme this has developed. I really like Barbara's too.
As for q-snaps-I can't stitch bigger pieces without them. I prefer the squares over the rectangles which seem to be heavier to hold.
Can't wait to see what you do for Barbara. Don't forget there are all size buildings.

 
At 10:42 PM, June 25, 2007, Blogger Dianne said...

After looking at the entire piece again, I want to say how much I like how An's lighthouse is almost the same color as Rachael's house's roof-they play off each other well!

 
At 12:12 AM, June 26, 2007, Blogger Annemarie said...

Well spotted, Dianne! I forgot to mention that I used the exact same colour combination (a mix of two DMC colours) for the lighthouse that Rachael used for her roof. I decided this was the local stone in Rachael's neighbourhood ;o)

 
At 9:31 AM, June 26, 2007, Blogger mainely stitching said...

You like this, and that's a first? You really have to stop putting yourself down, Annemarie. I'm being very firm about this!

As for being stuck with an impossible square on my NRR, I told you to go ahead and take one of the top ones - I can easily balance it out by stitching a 2nd house in the other top square and either doing our names in the bottom square or around the border. PLEASE don't drive yourself crazy - I know you'd already decided what you wanted to stitch, so go ahead and stitch it! REALLY!!

Oh, and I simply adore what you stitched for Rachael!

 
At 10:56 AM, June 29, 2007, Blogger lena-lou said...

Love this one Annemarie, I love the movement in the trees and the lady with the umbrella, I can almost imagine I am at Whitby with the wind and the sea.





Best wishes Veronica

 

Post a Comment

<< Home