Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Hi Everyone,
Well, I still cannot stitch on my RR as my Autumn Fields belfast is still on backorder... But I finally dreamt up how I want to set up my RR, and I wanted to share it with you!!

OK... I plan to set mine up like a tic tac toe board - each of us will stitch our house in a square, and please leave my center square blank... in that, when the RR comes home, I will stitch a central garden. At the moment I am thinking of maybe using Chatelaine's Tiny Rose Mandala Garden in the Center. I am posting a pic of it that I stitched in 2004 on a hand dyed blue fabric... I am not sure if this is the garden that will work - I will have to wait to see how my RR looks when it comes home. I may end up using the center section of one of Liz Turner Diehl's gardens instead...

There will be 14 threads between each backstitched box... between the boxes I plan to stitch the brick pathway that you see here on Liz Turner Diehl's 18th Century Colonial Garden. I will try to stitch a little bit of it in before I send it off to Annemarie so that you can see how it will look....

I have NO idea yet which house I will stitch for my own block. Now I have to sit down and do the necessary math to figure out how this idea will fit on my fabric and just how many stitches each block will be. I will get back to all of you on that so that you can look through your charts...

Do I sound too ambitious?? LOL


**** I did the math - I am terrible at math!! - but I think if each box is 80 x 80 stitches that comes to 240 stitches wide, then add the 28 stitches for two rows of bricks on each side... that is 268. I divide that by 16 since I am using 32 ct linene, and I think that comes out to be just under 17" x 17".... with my fabric between 24" wide, I think that leaves me between 3 1/2" and 4" on each border for framing... um.... if anyone is good at math, could you please doublecheck me??? Thanks!!!

6 Comments:

At 6:07 AM, January 31, 2006, Blogger Dianne said...

What a great plan. I like the garden in the middle idea! I have mine divided in 100x 100 squares, but I am not holding anyone to any particular square. So if your design is wider,I am not worried. Hopefully it will connect with it's neighbor somehow.

 
At 7:52 AM, January 31, 2006, Blogger Rachael said...

I like the garden in the middle idea. Sorry though, I am no good at math. All those numbers make my head spin. If I have th fabric physicly in front of me I usually do alright , but that is my limit.

 
At 8:51 AM, January 31, 2006, Blogger mainely stitching said...

Carol, this sounds so great! Like Rachael, I'm kind of limited to what I can actually put my hands on when it comes to math (I can't visualize!) but your math sounds correct. What an exciting design!

 
At 12:09 PM, January 31, 2006, Blogger Annemarie said...

Carol, what a lovely idea! I love the brick idea and the garden. But as for the math... I lost you right at the beginning of your calculation. Sorry, girl!

 
At 3:11 PM, January 31, 2006, Blogger Carol said...

I think I might give you 90 x 90 squares - most of the houses I have seen appear to require that much if you are going to also add some kind of a garden to it... but I still come in around 18" x 18" inches or so. The stitching area I will give you won't actually be wider.... I just need the extra space between each of your blocks to build my brick pathway to your home... so I can visit you - and stitch with you!! LOL

 
At 5:36 PM, January 31, 2006, Blogger Susimac said...

Maths were never my strong point - so can't help there, I just looked at my charts and the other neighbourhood and counted sizes of things. I think your ideas sound wonderful and I look forward to stitching on it, I'll be the last one too!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home